MODELIGO, a parish, in the barony of DECIES-without-DRUM, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 6- miles (E. by N.) from Lismore ; containing 2116 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Phinisk, and comprises 7536 statute acres, of which 1273 are mountain. Within its limits are the ruins of many ancient buildings, of which the principal formerly belonged to the McGrath's, who were extensive proprietors in this part of the country : of these the castle of Sledy was built by Philip McGrath in 1628, and there are also considerable remains of another, called Mountain castle, where a fair is held on the 1st of May. At Kilkenny is a fine vein of lead ore, near the surface, from which the ore is taken up in a powdered state with the shovel, and used by the potters for glazing : the contiguity of a deep ravine affords great facilities for working it. The principal seat is Rockfield, the handsome mansion of Pierse Hely, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore : the rectory forms the corps of the prebend of Modeligo in the cathedral of Lismore ; and the vicarage is united to that of Kilgobinet, together forming the union of Modeligo, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £270, of which two-thirds are payable to the prebendary, and the remainder to the vicar, In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Affane, each containing a chapel. About 220 children are educated in a school partly supported by the R. C. clergyman ; and about 60 are taught in two private schools. The ruins of the old church still remain. There is a vitriolic spring in the parish, the water of which is clear and of a sharp and acid taste.