GLENDALIGAN, a village, in the parish of KILROSANTY, barony of DECIES-WITHOUT-DRUM, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. W.) from Kilmacthomas ; containing 178 inhabitants.
KILROSSANTY, a parish, in the barony of DECIES-WITHOUT-DRUM, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Kilmacthomas, on the old road from Waterford to Dungarvan. This parish comprises 16,196 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; the soil is generally of an inferior quality, and there are about 1000 acres of bog. It extends from the eastern base of the Cummeragh mountains, and includes the hamlets of Cummeragh and Glendaligan. The principal seats are Roxhorough, the residence of Col. Wray Palliser ; Mount Kennedy, of E. Kennedy, Esq. ; and Brook Lodge, of J. Ryall, Esq. Fairs are held at Ballycaroge on the 2nd and 21st of October. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, and in the gift of the Bishop, who also presents to the rectory, which forms the corps of the prebend of Kilrossanty in the cathedral of Lismore : the tithes amount to #600, of which #400 is payable to the prebendary, and #200 to the vicar. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of #100 and a loan of #314 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1818 ; the glebe comprises 14 acres. The church was built in 1810, by a gift of #500 from the same Board, and has been recently repaired by a grant of #240 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising this parish and Fews, in each of which is a chapel. There is a public school of about 20 children, to which Col. Palliser subscribes #40 annually, besides giving the school-house : and near the R. C. chapel a commodious school-house has been recently erected by subscription, on a site given by Pierse G. Barron, Esq., in which about 70 children are educated. There are also three private schools, in which are about 250 children. In the bed of a stream is a detached fragment of rock split through, called Clough Lowris, or" the speaking stone." At Barnakile are some remains of a castle, and there was one at Ballycaroge belonging to the Walsh family.