All Lewis entries for Kilmoleran



Kilmoleran

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford

CARRICK-BEG

CARRICK-BEG, a suburb to the town of Carrick-on-Suir (formerly an incorporated town), in the parish of KILMOLERAN, barony of UPPERTHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER; containing 2704 inhabitants. This place, of which the name signifies Little Carrick, was formerly called Carrick-mac-Griffin; it is situated on the south side of the river Suir, over which is an ancient stone bridge connecting it with Carrick-on-Suir. From a grant of restoration of murage and pontage to the provost and commonalty of the Town of Carrick-mac-Griffin, made in the 18th of Edw. III., dated 12th July 1344, it would appear to have been a borough. A friary for Conventual Franciscans, dedicated to St. Michael, was founded here in the year 1336, by James Butler, Earl of Ormonde, to whose great grandfather, Theobald, the lands of Carrick-mac-Griffin had been granted. The first warden was John Clyn, a Franciscan friar of Kilkenny; he wrote short annals from the birth of Christ to the year 1315, and from that year continued them more copiously and carefully to the year 1349, when he died of the plague. This establishment flourished till the dissolution, when it was granted with all its possessions to the Earl of Ormonde. Of the ancient buildings, the tower of the church is almost the only remaining portion; it is square and nearly perfect, projecting considerably beyond the foundation on which it rests, and is based on a single stone, from which it rises in the form of a truncated pyramid inverted; a fine flight of spiral steps in the wall leads to the summit. The monastery, which was a large and very irregular structure, has been taken down; and a modern chapel, now the parish chapel, has been erected on the site ; the principal entrance is under an arch of very elegant design, which had been preserved from the ruins of the ancient building. A Franciscan friary was erected near the site of the former in 1822, by the Rev. Michael Fleming, now R. C. Bishop of Newfoundland: the friary chapel is in the later English style, faced with hewn stone; the principal entrance is of handsome design; above it is a well-sculptured figure of a saint, and at the opposite extremity, a tower erected in imitation of that of the old abbey; the ceilings of both chapels are richly and delicately groined. The woollen manufacture was formerly carried on here very extensively, affording employment to a great number of the population; but within the last 30 years it has gradually been falling to decay. Fairs are held on Jan. 26th, Feb. 26th, March 25th, April 28th, June 15th, July 15th, Sept. 27th, Nov. 7th, and Dec. 5th. A constabulary police force is stationed here.

KILMOLERAN

KILMOLERAN, a parish, in the barony of UPPERTHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER ; containing, with the suburb of the town of Carrick-on-Suir, called Carrickbeg, 2896 inhabitants. An abbey is said to have been erected at Bolhendesart by St. Maidoc of Ferns, in the 6th century. The parish consists of a small but beautiful tract on the southern bank of the river Suir, and includes the demesne of Coolnamuck, the seat of C. W. Wall, Esq. ; around which are some remarkably fine trees: the ruins of a castle built by Giraldus Wall add considerably to the beauty of the place, and are preserved with great care. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, forming part of the vicarial union of Dysart ; the rectory forms part of the corps of the prebend of Dysart in the cathedral of Lismore. The tithes amount to £192. 5. 2., of which £128. 3. 5. is payable to the prebendary, and £64. 1. 9. to the vicar. Glan-Patrick, which is now within the western boundary of the parish, was formerly a separate parish. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Carrickbeg, comprising the pa-rishes of Kilmoleran, Dysart, and Fenagh, with part of Carrick, and containing chapels at Carrickbeg and Windgap. There are three private schools, in which about 270 children are educated. The ancient castle of Ballyclough stands on a steep hill, all the accessible parts of which are commanded by loop-holes and embrasures. A circular staircase conducts to the watch tower, from which there is an extensive vicw.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021