All Lewis entries for Kilmacleague



Kilmacleague

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford


KILMACLEAGUE

KILMACLEAGUE, a parish, in the barony of GAULTIER, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Waterford, on the south coast ; containing 999 inhabitants and 3241 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. This parish extends southward along the eastern side of Tramore bay to Brownstown Head, which forms the eastern boundary of the bay, and from the similarity of its appearance to the land at the entrance of Waterford harbour, has often been fatally mistaken for the entrance into that harbour ; but two beacon towers have been placed on Brownstown Head as a warning to mariners. The cliffs are pierced by several caves, and at the north-east extremity of Tramore bay is the small harbour of Rhineshark, in which vessels that are embayed in Tramore may find shelter. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Waterford, forming part of the union of Ballinakill ; the rectory forms part of the corps of the chancellorship in the cathedral of Waterford. The tithes amount to #219. 10. 1., of which #190.8. 1. is payable to the chancellor, and the remainder to the vicar. The church is at Monamintra, and in its vicinity are some mineral springs. Here is the small fishing village of Somerville, near which is the ancient seat of that name, the property of the Earl of Fortescue.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020