All Lewis entries for Dunhill



Dunhill

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford

ANNESTOWN

ANNESTOWN, a village, in the parish of DUNHILL, barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. W.) from Tramore; containing 232 inhabitants. This place is situated on the south coast, and on the western side of a pleasant valley, which extends for a considerable distance inland. The village contains 31 houses, and possesses some natural advantages as a place of resort during summer; and a few lodging-houses have been established for the accommodation of visitors. Its situation and appearance are highly picturesque; the vicinity presents an extensive line of coast, consisting of stupendous rocks rising abruptly from the sea. On the east the view is bounded by the isles of Icane, and on the opposite side the headland of Dungarvan is seen stretching far to the southwest. The parish church, a neat edifice, erected by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1822, is situated in the village.-See DUNHILL.

DUNHILL

DUNHILL, or DON ISLE, anciently called DONDRONE, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (S. E.) from Kilmacthomas ; containing 2l28 inhabitants. It is situated on St. George's channel, and comprises 6115 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The high lands are principally composed of pudding-stone and clay-slate, with large masses of jasper, some of which is very beautiful. The village of Annestown has a few lodging-houses for the accommodation of visiters in the bathing season. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, united to the vicarages of Guilcagh and Newcastle, and in the gift of the Corporation of Waterford, in which the rectory is impropriate, The tithes amount to £210, of which £1 10 is payable to the impropriators, and £100 to the vicar ; and the vicarial tithes of the union are £194. The glebe comprises above 6 acres, The church at Annestown was rebuilt in 1822, by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits ; and there is a chapel of ease at Guilcagh, In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, and has a commodious chapel. The most remarkable ruin is Don Isle or Donhill castle, which was a principal seat of a branch of the La Poers, and was taken by Cromwell's army, after an obstinate defence made by a female proprietor, who was called Countess of Don Isle. Near it are the ruins of the church, against one of the walls of which stood a statue with a coronet, which has lately been placed in front of the R. C. chapel. In its vicinity is a cromlech of silicious slate.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020