All Lewis entries for Drumcannon



Drumcannon

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford

DRUMCANNON

DRUMCANNON, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, on the high road from Waterford to Tramore ; containing, with the post-town of Tramore, 4835 inhabitants. It is situated on the northern and western shores of the bay of Tramore, and comprises 7137 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The surface is rather undulating, and rises into two hills of considerable elevation, called Carriglong and Pickardstown. The land, notwithstanding its exposure to the sea, is productive, and the system of agriculture is improving ; there is a considerable portion of peat bog, and at Pickardstown is a quarry of flagstone, but not worked to any great extent. At the head of the bay of Tramore is a tract of about 1000 plantation acres, called the Back Strand ; it is partly defended from the encroachment of the sea by a bar raised by the opposing influences of the tide and the land streams, and stretching from Newtown Head towards Brownstown Head, to the latter of which it is in contemplation to extend it by an artificial embankment. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Waterford, partly impropriate in the Misses Hardy, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of Cashel : the tithes amount to £600, of which, £70 is payable to the impropriators and the remainder to the incumbent, The glebe-house was built at the same time, and both by aid of a gift of £250, and a loan of £938, from the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe comprises 10 acres. The church, situated in Tramore, was built in 1809 ; it is a small edifice, and application has been made for its enlargement. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, called Tramore, and comprising also the parish of Corbally ; the chapel is at Tramore, and there is another in Corbally. Here is a school endowed with £10 per ann. by the late Mrs. Quinn and £3 from R. P. Ronayne, Esq. ; also a school supported by local subscriptions : in these are about 60 boys and 70 girls ; and there are also three private schools, in which are about 80 boys and 20 girls, and a Sunday school. An alms-house for 12 poor men and 12 women has been founded at Tramore, under the will of the late Mrs. Catherine Walsh, of that town ; and the late J. Power, Esq., of Newtown, bequeathed property amounting to about £3000 for charitable uses, which has not yet been rendered available.

TRAMORE

TRAMORE, a maritime market and post-town, in the parish of' DRUMCANNON, barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. S. W.) from Waterford, and 81? (S. W.) from Dublin ; containing 2224 inhabitants. This town is situated at the north-western extremity of the bay of Tramore, to which it gives name, commanding a fine view of the sea, and sheltered by the surrounding heights from the most prevailing winds. In the reign of Hen. V., the Irish sept of the Powers, with their adherents, being then in a state of hostility with the citizens of Waterford, landed at this place, and proceeding to Ballymacdane were joined by the O'Driscolls, when a battle took place, in which they were defeated by the citizens with great slaughter. The advantages of its situation and its fine beach, which is more than three English miles in length and perfectly firm and level, have made this town a favourite place of resort for seabathing by the inhabitants of Waterford and of the adjacent counties. Many comfortable lodging-houses have been built for the accommodation of visiters, and a spacious hotel has been erected by Mr. Rivers on an elevated site above the village. A new line of road on a better level has been constructed from Waterford, and great facilities of intercourse with that city are afforded by numerous vehicles. These advantages, combined with pure air, have made it a pleasant summer residence, and several handsome houses have been erected in the village and its immediate vicinity, of which the principal are Tramore Lodge, the residence of W. Christmas, Esq. ; Eastland, of P. G. Barron, Esq. ; and Newtown, of E. O'Neil Power, Esq. Races, which are much encouraged by the neighbouring gentry, and supported by subscription, are held annually on the strand. At one extremity of the beach immense heaps of sand have been thrown up by the sea and now form a rabbit warren ; from their summit is a fine view of the bay, the navi-gation of which is very dangerous. In 1816, the Sea Horse transport, with the 2nd battalion of the 59th regiment of foot, was wrecked in this bay, when 292 men and 71 women and children perished. Within the entrance of the bay are two small fishing coves, from which it has been proposed to carry out two piers for the prevention of similar calamities, and which would also form a commodious harbour for the boats employed in the Nymph bank fisheries. The market is on Saturday, and is well supplied with meat, fish, and vegetables : it is held in a large walled square, along one side of which are sheds, erected by Lord Doneraile. A chief constabulary police force is stationed here, and petty sessions are held on alternate Tuesdays. The parish church of Drumcannon is situated in the town, and in the churchyard is a monument raised by the surviving officers of the 59th to the memory of the shipwrecked soldiers of that regiment ; they also ordered a monument to be erected in the cemetery of the old church at Drumcannon, over the remains of those who were interred there, which has been executed but not yet put up. The town is the head of a R. C. union or district, comprising the parishes of Drumcannon and Corbally, in each of which is a chapel, that of Drumcannon being in the town of Tramore. An almshouse founded for 12 men and 12 women, by Mrs. Catherine Walsh, and a dispensary maintained in the customary manner are also situated in the town ; near which are the ruins of the castle of Cullen, formerly a place of great strength.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021