All Lewis entries for Crooke



Crooke

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford


CROOK

CROOK, a parish, in the barony of GAULTIER, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (E. by S.) from Waterford ; containing 976 inhabitants. A castle was founded here in the 13th century by the Baron of Curraghmore, which subsequently became a preceptory of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, with whom it remained till the Reformation. The site and the lands belonging to it were granted by Queen Elizabeth, in the 27th of her reign, on lease for 60 years to Anthony Power, at an annual rent of #12. 11. 10.; and in 1638 they were granted by Chas. I. to Sir Peter Aylward. A village in the parish derived the name of New Geneva from the proposed establishment at this place of a colony of Genevese, who were compelled to leave their own country in 1785. For this purpose the parliament granted #50,000, but in consequence of their requiring certain privileges and immunities which it was not thought proper to concede, the projected settlement was abandoned, The parish is situated on Waterford harbour, and comprises 1831 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. A military barrack was erected in the village, in which were stationed one or two regiments generally during the war ; but the establishment was afterwards abandoned, and the buildings have been taken down. Kilcop House is the seat of John Coghlan, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Waterford, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to #190. 5. 3. There is neither church nor glebe-house ; the glebe comprises three acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Passage.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020