All Lewis entries for Colligan



Colligan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford

COLLIGAN

COLLIGAN, a parish, in the barony of DECIES-without-DRUM, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 3- miles (N. N. W.) from Dungarvan ; containing 1009 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Dungarvan to Clonmel, and contains 3679 statut.e acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The high grounds are well planted, and here is a neat house and grounds, which is the occasional residence of Walter McGwire, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire, in whom the rectory is impropriate : the tithes amount to £135, of which £90 is paid to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar, In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilgobinet, and contains a chapel. Here is a cavern of considerable extent in the limestone rock.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020