All Lewis entries for Ballymacart



Ballymacart

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford


BALLYMACART

BALLYMACART, a parish, in the barony of DECIES-within-DRUM, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Dungarvan; containing 984 inhabitants. This parish, also called Aglishvenan, is situated on the shore of St. George's channel, and comprises 2966 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. On the south-east is the cape or promontory of Mine Head, forming the northern point of the entrance to Ardmore bay. Here is Glenanne Cottage, the marine villa of H. Winston Barron, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, united to that of Ardmore; the rectory is impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire. The tithes amount to #124, of which #82. 13. 4. is payable to the impropriator, and #41. 6. 8. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Ardmore : the chapel is a large building. At Mount Barron there is a school under the patronage of H. W. Barron, Esq., who gave the school-house and four acres of land: it is attended by about 200 boys and 54 girls.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020