MONSEA, or MOUNTSEA, a parish, in the barony of LOWER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2- miles (N. W.) from Nenagh, on the road to Dromineer, near the river Shannon ; containing 1753 inhabitants. It comprises about 5265 statute acres, chiefly in tillage ; the land is in general good, limestone abounds, and the state of agriculture is much improved. There is a small portion of wet or bottom land. Great facility for the transport of agricultural and other produce is afforded by the steam-boats of the Inland Navigation Company, one of whose stations is in the adjoining parish of Dromineer. The seats are Richmond, the residence of R. W. Gason, Esq., situated in a handsome and well-planted demesne ; Tullaghmore, of Wm. Finch, Esq. ; the glebe-house, of the Rev. Wm. Cromie ; and Rockfort, the property of J. Wolfe, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, each forming a distinct benefice, and both in the gift of the Bishop. Of the tithes, amounting to £415. 7. 8-., two-thirds are payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. There is a glebe comprising 8a. 1r. ; and a glebe-house, erected in 1813, by aid of a gift of £400, and a loan of £308, from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is a plain structure with a tower, built in 1799, by aid of a gift of £500, and repaired in 1818 by a loan of £50 from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Killodiernan and Dromineer, and containing two chapels: that of Monsea is a handsome modern building, situated at Carrick ; the other is in Killodiernan. About 50 children are educated in a private school. At Ballyatalla are some vestiges of the ancient castle of that name.