All Lewis entries for Modreeny



Modreeny

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

CLOGHJORDAN

CLOGHJORDAN, a post-town and district parish, in the barony of LOWER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 9- miles (W.) from Roscrea, and 70- (S. W.) from Dublin ; containing 2770 inhabitants, of which number, 824 are in the town. This town is situated on the road from Nenagh to Parsonstown, and consists principally of one main street ; it contains 129 houses, and has a neat and cheerful appearance. A large distillery is carried on, in which from 40,000 to 60,000 gallons of whiskey are annually made. A patent for a market exists, but no market has been yet established, though much desired by the inhabitants. Fairs are held on May 12th, Aug. 12th, and Dec. 1st ; and a police force is stationed in the town. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Killaloe, erected out of the parish of Modreeny in 1826, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of that parish : the stipend of the curate is £76. 3. 1., of which £46. 3. 1. is paid by the incumbent of Modreeny, and £30 from the augmentation fund under the management of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church, a handsome light edifice, in the later English style, with an elegant spire, was built by a gift of £900 and a loan of £923 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1830. There is neither glebehouse nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Modreeny, Arderony, and Kilruan, in which are three chapels ; the chapel at Cloghjordan is a neat plain building. There are places ot' worship for Baptists and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, also a dispensary and fever hospital. A plan for the relief and diminution of pauperism originated in the town with William French, Esq., of Cangort Park, who, in 1823, established the "Deacon's Poor Fund," at first limited to the parish of Modreeny, and subsequently extended to many other parishes, particularly to those of Dolla, Kilmore, and Ballynaclogh, in which it has been attended with the most beneficial results.

MODREENY

MODREENY, a parish, in the barony of LOWER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Burris-o'-Kane, on one of the public roads from Nenagh to Parsonstown ; containing, with the town and district parish of Cloghjordan, 4306 inhabitants. It comprises about 9220 statute acres, of which 6l26-, consisting chiefly of arable and pastureland, are applotted under the tithe act: the remainder is waste and bog. The Woods of Knocknacrea and Ballycapple, the former of which is a noted fox cover, occupy 120 acres: the state of agriculture is gradually improving. At Coolnagrower is a quarry of good stone, and the bogs furnish an abundant supply of turf. The parish is embellished with numerous seats, some of which are surrounded by beautiful and well-planted demesnes : the principal are Merton Hall, the residence of Robert Hall, Esq., a spacious mansion ; Modreeny House, of W. H. Head, Esq. ; Modreeny, of Sir Amyrald Dancer, Bart. ; Park House, the property of Wm. Trench, Esq., but now the residence of De La Pere A. J. Robinson, Esq. ; Wood House, the residence of Stuart Trench, Esq. ; Ballynavin Castle, of Mrs. Robinson ; Fort William, of Anthony Parker, Esq. ; Northland, of Wm. Smith, Esq. ; Hilton, of Thomas Dancer, Esq. ; Behamore Castle, of Benjamin Hawkshaw, Esq. ; View Mount, of Thomas R. Barnes, Esq. ; Cloghkeating, of A. Robinson, Esq. ; Willow Lodge, of Jas. Fleetwood, Esq. ; Elysium, of Thomas Ely, Esq. ; the glebe-house, of the Rev. W. T. Homan ; and Ballycapple Cottage, the property of the Rev. R. Stoney. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £533. 8. 11. The glebe-house, which stands on a glebe of 10 acres, was built about 1813, When the late Board of First Fruits gave £250 and lent £550 towards its erection. The church 'was rebuilt in 1828. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Cloghjordan ; the chapel of Modreeny, Which stands on an eminence in the townland of Coolnamanna, is a handsome modern edifice, In the parochial schools, partly supported by S. Trench, Esq., and the rector, and partly by private subscriptions, about 150 children are educated: there are also three private schools, containing about 140 children, and three Sunday schools. At Ballycapple, Cloghkeating, and Behamore, are the ruins of the castles respectively so called ; and in the demesne of Modreeny House are some remains of another, which appears to have been destroyed by gunpowder.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020