All Lewis entries for Loughkeen


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary


BALLYLOUGHNANE, a village, in the parish of LOCKEEN, barony of LOWER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. W. by S.) from Parsonstown; containing 28 houses and 143 inhabitants. It is situated on the verge of the county, and is separated from the King's county by the river Brosna.-See LOCKEEN.


LOCKEEN, or LOUGHKEEN, also called LOGHCAYNE, a parish, in the barony of LOWER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3- miles (S. W.) from Parsonstown, on the road to Nenagh ; containing 2691 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Brosna, which forms the boundary between this and King's county, and comprises 8165 statute acres as applotted under the tithe act ; the greater portion of the land is arable, and the system of agriculture is improving green crops being now generally cultivated: limestone is found, adapted for building. At Carrig are the flour-mills of Mr. Christopher Dignam. The seats are Tinnakilly, the residence of Robt. Robinson, Esq. ; Riverstown, of Simpson Hackett, Esq. ; Wingfleld, of Thos. Doolan, Esq. ; Gurteen, of Geo. Smith, Esq. ; Ivy Hall, of R. Palmer, Esq. ; Elm Hall, of PeterBurke, Esq. ; Lacka, of W. Cruess, Esq. ; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. F. Synge. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory forms the corps of the prebend of Lockeen in the cathedral of Killaloe, also in the Bishop's patronage. The tithes amount to £350, of which £232. 6. 8. is payable to the prebendary, and the remainder to the vicar. The glebe-house is a handsome building. towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £400, and lent £200, in 1829. The erection of the church, which is a neat modern edifice, was aided by a gift of £300 from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Birr, or Parsonstown, and has a chapel at Carrig. A school of about 50 children is supported by the proprietor of the estate, and there are three private schools containing about 100 children. At Glahaskeen are the ivied ruins of an old castle, and at Castletown are those of another ; there are also some remains of the old church.

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021