All Lewis entries for Kilvellane



Kilvellane

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

KILVOLANE

KILVOLANE, a parish, in the barony of OWNEY and ARRA, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, on the road from Thurles to Limerick ; containing, with the post-town of Newport (which is separately described), 3802 inhabitants. It comprises 8568 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £7427 per annum. There were formerly large tracts of wasteland, which, from the facility of procuring lime, have been partly reclaimed and are rapidly coming into cultivation. The system of agriculture is improved ; there are large tracts of valuable bog, and several quarries of excellent limestone, which is procured and burnt for manure. Gritstone of good quality for building is also extensively quarried ; and copper mines of good ore were formerly worked with success, but have been discontinued. The scenery is finely diversified ; the river Clare intersects the parish, affording advantageous sites for mills, and on the south-eastern side forms a boundary between the counties of Tipperary and Limerick. Clare Glen, which is beautifully picturesque, has been recently planted. The principal seats are Barna, the residence of H. Lee, Esq., and Mount Philips, of W. Philips, Esq., the demesnes of which are richly embellished with stately oaks ; Ballymakeogh, of W. Ryan, Esq. ; Mount Rivers, of R. Phillips, Esq. ; Bloomfield, of E. Scully, Esq. ; Fox Hall, of J. O'Brien, Esq. ; Clonsingle, of R. Young, Esq. ; Derryleagh Castle, of G. Ryan, Esq. ; Rose Hill, of H. Hawkshaw, Esq. ; and Lacklands, of the Rev. Dr. Pennefather. A corn-mill and a tuck-mill have been erected on the river Clare, near Newport. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, forming part of the union of Kilnerath, or St. John's, Newport ; the tithes amount to £461. 10. 10. The church, towards the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £530, is a neat edifice, situated at Newport. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Newport, in which town is the chapel. The parochial school, in which about 120 children are taught, is endowed with 20 acres of land and is aided by subscriptions ; and there are six private schools, in which are about 260 children. There are some remains of the ancient parochial church at Ballymakeogh ; the cemetery is still used as a burial-ground.

NEWPORT

NEWPORT, or ST. JOHN'S NEWPORT, a post-town, in the parish of KILVOLANE, barony of OWNEY and ARRA, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (E.) from Limerick, and 86 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road to Limerick ; containing 852 inhabitants. This town is pleasantly situated on a consider-able stream that falls into the river at Castle Troy, near Mount Shannon, a little below the village of Anacotty ; and contains 163 houses, most of which are neatly built. It is the property of Sir Edmund Waller, Bart., whose seat, Castle Waller, is in the immediate vicinity. There are barracks for two companies of infantry, to which purpose the buildings of the old charter school have been appropriated. Fairs are held on April 27th, May 29th, July 21st, and Oct. 23rd, which last is a very large fair for bullocks ; a constabulary police force is stationed in the town, and petty sessions are held every Tuesday. The environs are pleasant, and in the vicinity are several handsome seats, which are noticed in the parishes within which they are situated. The parish church, situated in the town, is a neat edifice, to which a handsome octagonal tower was added in 1823, and towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £4. 10 : it contains a handsome monument, erected in 1825, by Lady Waller, to her late husband, Sir Robt, Waller, Bart. There is also a Roman Catholic chapel, a neat edifice ; and in the barrack-yard is a school, to the support of which the Incorporated Society grants £20 per annum, and the rector and Lady Waller present a donation of £10 each ; there is also a dispensary. The horns of a moose deer were found here in 1820. Newport gives the inferior title of baron in the peerage of Ireland to the Earl of Roden.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021