All Lewis entries for Kiltinan



Kiltinan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

KILTEYNAN

KILTEYNAN, or KILTINAN, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2- miles (S. E.) from Fethard, on the road to Clonmel ; containing 1216 inhabitants. It comprises 4127 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Kiltinan Castle, the seat of R. Cooke, Esq., consists of an ancient circular tower, the walls of which are seven feet thick, and a residence erected on the old site by the late E. Cooke, Esq. It stands on a nearly perpendicular limestone rock, 90 feet high, and commands a fine view of the Waterford mountains. There is a very fine well in the castle, covered by a circular tower, and approached by 90 steps. The river Clashanly runs close to the castle, and at the extremity of the demesne joins the Anner. In the demesne is a copious spring, constantly flowing from a cavern in a limestone rock, also the ruins of the parochial church. The parish is in the diocese of Cashel ; the rectory is sequestrated and vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who pay a stipend to the curate of Fethard for performing the occasional duties ; the tithes amount to £320. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Fethard, and has a chapel at Killusty. There is a public school, in Which about 150 children are educated.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021