All Lewis entries for Garryvoe



Garryvoe

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

GARRYNOE

GARRYNOE, or GARRYVOE, a parish, in the Eastern Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5- miles (S. W. by W.) from Bandon ; the population is returned with the parish of Desertserges, into which Garrynoe is considered to have merged. It is situated on the river Bandon, and comprises 8027 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3365 per annum. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of Lord Kinsale : the tithes amount to £315.

GARRYVOE

GARRYVOE, or GARRYBOVE, a parish, in the barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Castlemartyr ; containing 813 inhabitants. It comprises 1657 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about three-fourths of which are under tillage, the remainder being pasture and furze brakes. The soil is generally poor, but is well manured with sea-weed and sand ; the substratum is clay-slate. Being situated on the shore of the Atlantic, many of the inhabitants are engaged in fishing. The principal seat is Garryvoe Lodge, the residence of J. O'Neil, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and forms part of the union of Kilcredan ; the rectory is impropriate in A. Mann, Esq., M.D. The tithes amount to £232. 10. 10., of which £155. 0. 6-. is payable to the impropriator, and £77. 10. 3-. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Ladiesbridge, or Ballymacoda. The parochial schools are supported by Capt. Hoare, Mrs. Fitzgerald, and the vicar; and there is a private school. The old church is in ruins, and near it is a small square tower, called Garryvoe Castle.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021