GEALE, or GAILE, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Thurles, on the road to Cashel ; containing 707 inhabitants. It comprises 2494 statute acres, valued at #1757 per annum, which is all arable and pasture with the exception of about 30 acres of rock on Killough Hill, which, being surrounded by a flat country, is a very conspicuous object. Near it is Killough Castle, the occasional residence of the Hon. Mrs. Plunkett ; and the south-west side of the hill, which is planted, forms part of the demesne of Gaile, the residence of S. Phillips, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop : the tithes amount to #185. There is no church, glebe-house, or glebe ; the Protestant parishioners attend divine service at the church of Holy Cross, about three miles distant. On the demesne of Gaile are some remains of the old church.