All Lewis entries for Dorrha


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary


DORRAH, or DURROW, a parish, in the barony of LOWER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (W.) from Parsonstown, on the roads leading respectively from Portumna to Parsonstown and from Nenagh to Banagher ; containing 3397 inhabitants. It is situated near the river Shannon, and is bounded on the north by the Brosna, comprising 10,829 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act : about 3000 acres are bog, principally lying along the Shannon and the Brosna, and consequently capable of drainage from the fall of the land towards those rivers ; and of the remainder the greatest portion is under tillage ; a tract of about 200 acres of meadow, called the lnches, is of remarkably fine quality, and the parish generally is in a good state of cultivation. There is a quarry of good limestone, which is burnt for manure. The principal seats are Walsh Park, that of J. W. Walsh, Esq. ; Sraduff, of T. Antisell, Esq. ; Newgrove, of J. W. Bayly, Esq. ; Rockview, of J. Lewis Cornigan, Esq. ; Gurteen, of J. Lalor, Esq. ; Arbour Hill, of J. Antisell, Esq. ; Ross House, of R. Smith, Esq. ; Clongowna, of the Rev. Mr. Troke ; Ballyduff, of B. Walker, Esq. ; and Redwood, the property of Major Bloomfield. There is a flour-mill at Derrinsallagh, The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Lorrha and corps of the archdeaconry of Killaloe: the tithes amount to £415. 7. 8-. It formerly consisted of three parishes, Bonahane, Pallas, and Ross, the remains of the churches of which are still visible, and the two former had glebes. At Ross there was a very extensive burial-ground, which has not been used as such within the memory of man. The church is a neat modern edifice, completed in 1832, for which a grant of £900 was made by the late Board of First Fruits : the old church has been occupied as a dwelling-house from time immemorial. In the R. C. divisions also the parish forms part of the union or district of Lorrha, called also Dorrha ; the chapel, on the townland of Gurteen, has been lately fitted up in a neat manner. In the demesne of Walsh Park is a school-house built by the proprietor, who supports the school ; and there is a school at Gurteen in connection with the National Board. At Redwood are the ruins of an old castle, and there are some remains of the ancient parish church.

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021