All Lewis entries for Cordangan



Cordangan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

CARDANGAN

CARDANGAN, or CURDANGAN, a parish in the BARONY OF CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY and province of MUNSTER; containing, with part of the town of Tipperary, 2345 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Tipperary to the Glen of Aherlow, and extends into a plain which, for its beauty and fertility, is called the Golden Vale: it contains some of the richest land in Ireland, although occasionally alternated with heathy mountain. The principal seats are at Brookville, that of J. Sadleir, Esq., and Ballyglass, of Mrs Slattery. It is a vicarage in the diocese of Emly; the rectory is impropriate in Wm Moore, Esq. The tithes amount to #153.15, of which #102.10 is payable to the impropriator and #51.5 to the vicar. IN the R.C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Lattin. Here is a free school under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, which is more particularly noticed in the article on Tipperary, also a pay school, in which are about 30 boys and 10 girls.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021