All Lewis entries for Ballygriffin



Ballygriffin

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

BALLYGRIFFIN

BALLYGRIFFIN, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3- miles (W. N. W.) from Cashel; containing 1383 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Suir, which is here crossed by a bridge, and comprises 2778 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which 960 acres are bog. Lisheen, the seat of Sir J. J. Fitzgerald, Bart., is pleasantly situated in a well-planted demesne. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and is part of the union of Relickmurry or Athassel; the tithes amount to £191. 8. 7. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Annacarthy. There is a pay school, in which are about 50 boys and 30 girls. There are some remains of a castle, near which are the ruins of an ancient church or chapel.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020