BALLINGARRY, a parish, in the barony of LOWER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Burrisokane; containing 1767 inhabitants, of which number, 85 are in the hamlet, which consists of 13 houses. This parish is situated on the high roads from Roscrea to Portumna and from Nenagh to Parsonstown, and comprises 3498 plantation acres, divided into nearly equal portions of tillage and pasturage; the state of agriculture is much improved, and green crops are partially cultivated. There is a considerable extent of bog; and limestone of good quality abounds and is used for building. Knockshagowna, or "the Hill of the Fairies ;" connected with which are some interesting legends, rises to a considerable height in the parish, and is an excellent landmark to the surrounding country; its summit, on which is a small tower, commands a very extensive view into several adjacent counties; on the east and west sides it is well planted, and the land on its north-eastern declivity is of excellent quality. A lake, surrounded by a large bog, and called Lough-na-Inch, is said to be very deep ; near the centre is a small island formed artificially by piles of wood, but for what purpose is matter of conjecture. The principal seats are Lisbryen, situated in a well-planted demesne, that of T. Bunbury, Esq.; South Park, of C. Atkinson, Esq.; Ballymona, which is extensively planted, of Ralph Smith, Esq.; Fairy Hill, also well planted, of W. H. Cox, Esq.; Ballingarry Castle, of Marmaduke Thompson, Esq.; Clifton and White Hall, the former the seat and the latter the property of Capt. Shepherd; and Fairy Mount, the residence of the Rev. J. H. Saunderson, the vicar. Lismacrory, the ancient residence of the family of Smith, is now the property of Mr. Bunbury. Here is a station of the constabulary police.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, to which the vicarage of Uskeane was episcopally united in 1772 and 1809, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in M. Thompson, Esq. The tithes amount to #263. 2. 6., of which #159 is payable to the impropriator, and #104. 2. 6. to the vicar; and the entire tithes of the benefice, payable to the vicar, are #208. The church is an ancient edifice with a spire and minarets, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted #157. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union of Burris-o-kane: the chapel is situated at the Pike, and is of recent erection. A school was established in 1834 by the vicar, by whom, aided by a few private subscriptions, it is supported. There are some remains of the ancient castle of Ballingarry, from which it appears to have been of great strength and magnitude.