SHANCOE, or SHANCOUGH, a parish, in the barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 9 miles (N. by E.) from Boyle, on the road from Sligo to Ballyfarnon; containing 1208 inhabitants. It is situated on the confines of the county of Leitriin, and comprises 8909- statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which a large portion consists of mountain and bog ; some of the land, however, is good ; limestone abounds, and ironore is supposed to exist in the mountains. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Kilmactraney ; the rectory is impropriate in Alex. Perceval, Esq. The tithes , amounting to £33. 4. 7-., are payable in equal portions to the impropriator and vicar, In the R. C. divisions also the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmactrany. A "Patron" is annually held on July 25th at St. James's Well.