All Lewis entries for Kilshalvy



Kilshalvy

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Sligo

KILSHALVEE

KILSHALVEE, or KILLOWSHALWAY, a parish, in the barony of CORRAN, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8- miles (w. N. W.) from Boyle, on the road to Ballina ; containing 2034 inhabitants. It comprises 5118 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and principally under tillage : the land is generally good ; there is but little bog ; limestone is abundant. Atville is the seat of E. Knott, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, forming part of the union of Killaraght ; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Kingston. The tithes amount to £338. 9. 3., which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Buninaden, and has a chapel at Killarvin. About 300 children are educated in a national school ; and there is another public school at Riversdale. There are some remains of the old church.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021