All Lewis entries for Kilmacteige



Kilmacteige

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Sligo

ARDCLARE

ARDCLARE, a village, in the parish of KILMACTEIGUE, barony of LENEY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 9 miles (N. E.) from Foxford, on the road to Ballymote; containing about 20 houses and 110 inhabitants. It has a market on Saturday, and is a station of the constabulary police.

BANADA

BANADA, a village, in the parish of KILMACTIGUE, barony of LENEY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Tubbercurry: the population is returned with the parish. It comprises about 30 cabins, and is beautifully situated on the banks of the river Moy, which winds through it in a broad deep stream, and on the road from Tubbercurry to Foxford. A friary of Eremites, following the rule of St. Augustine, was founded here in 1423, through the industry of a brother of the order, and was dedicated to Corpus Christi. The modern seat, called the Abbey, is the residence of D. Jones, Esq., and from a plantation rises the lofty steeple of the ancient monastery, built of hewn stone and still entire. Fairs are held on Jan. 17th, May 19th, and Aug. 7th; and here is a station of the constabulary police.-See KILMACTIGUE.

KILMACTEIGUE

KILMACTEIGUE, a parish, in the barony of LENEY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 6 miles (N. E.) from Foxford, on the road to Ballymote ; containing 7654 inhabitants. It comprises 10,550 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. About half the parish is arable and pasture ; the remainder is mountain land, with some bog ; agriculture is improving. There are some quarries of limestone, which is principally procured for building and repairing the roads. Iron ore from the mountains was smelted at Foxford until the wood used for fuel was exhausted. Fine salmon are taken in the river Moy. Lough Talt is situated in the midst of high mountains, on which large flocks of goats, &c., feed in summer ; it is about a mile long, well stocked with small trout, and contains two small rocky islands, which in summer are covered with gulls. The principal seats are Glen Eask, the residence of 3. Taaffe, Esq. ; and Cloonbarry, of S. Robinson, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, and in the gift of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £223. 1. 6-. There is a glebe-house, built at an expense of £1300, of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £300 and lent £500, in 1814: the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is a plain building. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has chapels at Kilmacteigue and Barrintogher. There are three public schools, to one of which Mr. Jones has given an acre of land, and in which about 300 children are educated ; also a private school, in which are about 70 children, and a Sunday school. At Belelare is an ancient castle.-See BANADA and ARDCLARE.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021