DROMORE-WEST, a village and post-town, in the parish of KILMACSHALGAN, barony of TYRERAGH, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 18 miles (W. S. W.) from Sligo, and 113 (N. N. W.) from Dublin, on the mail coach road from Sligo to Ballina ; containing 109 inhabitants. It consists of about 20 houses, and in the vicinity are several gentlemen's residences, of which Dromore House is the seat of John Fenton, Esq. Fairs are held on the first Thursday in Jan., June 6th, and Dec. 29th. A revenue police force has been Stationed here, and there is a R. C. chapel.
KILMACSHALGAN, a parish, in the barony of TYRERAGH, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 16 miles (W. by S.) from Sligo ; containing, with the post-town of Dromore West, 3330 inhabitants. It comprises 25,884 statute acres, the greater portion of which is reclaimable mountain land and bog: the cultivated part is chiefly under tillage. There are quarries of limestone, freestone, and slate. The principal seats are Dromore House, the residence of Capt. J. Fenton ; Fare McFare, of W. Ormsby, Esq. ; Belville, of W. Rutledge, Esq. ; and Marino Cottage, of T. Ormsby, Esq. Petty sessions are held fortnightly on Thursdays at Comcall, where there is a spa. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, with that of Templeboy episcopally united, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in Col. Knox Gore. The tithes amount to £400, payable in equal parts to the impropriator and the vicar ; and the tithes of the union, to £410. There is a glebe-house, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £100 in 1812 ; the glebe comprises nine acres. The church is a neat edifice with a square tower, for the erection of which the late Board lent £1300, in 1820. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a large unfinished chapel. About 130 children are educated in a public and 140 in three private schools. There are some remains of the old church, with a burial-place attached ; two cromlechs and some forts.-See DROMORE WEST.