All Lewis entries for Kilmacallan



Kilmacallan

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Sligo


KILMACALLANE

KILMACALLANE, or KILMACALLEN, a parish, in the barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S. E.) from Collooney, on the road from that place to Ballyfarnon ; containing 4262 inhabitants. It comprises 6711 statute acres, of which 5828 are applotted under the tithe act ; the land, which is wet and spongy, is chiefly in tillage, and there is a considerable quantity of bog and marsh. Fairs are held at Castle-Baldwin on June 4th and Nov. 3rd. The principal seats are Cooper's Hill, the residence of A. B. Cooper, Esq. ; Lakeview, of - Weir, Esq. ; and Heapstown, of M. Dillon Manning, Esq. It is a prebend, rectory, and vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin: the prebend consists of portions of the tithes of Taunagh, Drumcollum, Ballynakill, and Ballysumaghan, amounting to #158. 15. 4.; the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Lorton, and the tithes amount to #166. 3. 1., which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar ; the vicarage forms part of the union of Boyle. The church is a plain building in Riverstown, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners recently granted #183 ; the Board of First Fruits having given #900 and lent #500 for its erection in 1817. There is a glebe-house. with a glebe of 19 acres. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Riverstown, comprising this parish, Drumcollum, and Taunagh, and containing chapels at Riverstown and Ballycash. There is also a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists at Riverstown. About 270 children are educated in three public, and 330 in five private, schools ; there is also a Sunday school. Part of the old church remains, and the burial-ground is still used as a cemetery.


RIVERSTOWN

RIVERSTOWN, a village, partly in the parish of DRUMCOLLUM, but chiefly in that of KILMACALLANE, barony of TIRAGHUILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Collooney to Ballyfarnon ; containing 89 houses and 421 inhabitants. It is a constabulary police station, and contains the parish church, (a plain building) a meeting-house for Methodists, and a dispensary. It is the head of a R. C. union or district, comprising this parish and those of Taunagh and Drumcullum, in which union are two chapels ; that in Riverstown is a plain building.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020