BALLYNAKILL, a parish, in the barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 9 miles (S. S. E.) from Sligo; containing 1767 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Sligo to Ballyfarnon, and is intersected by the small river Dubhglass, which at Rockbrook forms several small cascades, and passes under a natural bridge of one arch, 6 feet high and 20 feet in the span. It comprises 2679 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is good, and is chiefly under the old unimproved system of tillage; there is a large extent of bog, and limestone abounds in the parish. Rockbrook is the residence of E. H. Cogan, Esq., and Moorfield, of T. Irwin, Esq. Petty sessions are held at Sowey every third Tuesday. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, and forms part of the union of Boyle; the rectory is appropriate to the prebend of Kilmacallane in the cathedral of Elphin. The tithes amount to #83. 1. 6?., payable in moieties to the prebendary and the vicar. The Protestant inhabitants resort to the church in the parish of Ballysumaghon. In the K. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Sowey, which comprises also the parishes of Ballysumaghan and Kilross: the chapel is a thatched building in very indifferent repair, situated at Sowey. Two schools, in which about 50 boys and 30 girls are taught, are supported by private subscriptions. At Carrickcoolla there are some inconsiderable remains of an old castle. On the lands of Ballynakill is a holy well, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, to which the peasantry resort on Sept. 8th to perform certain devotions; and near it is a large rock, in which there are several natural caverns of very small dimensions.