All Lewis entries for Aghanagh



Aghanagh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Sligo

AUGHANAGH

AUGHANAGH, or AGHANAGH, a parish, in the barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (N. W.) from Boyle, on Lough Arrow, and on the road from Boyle to Sligo; containing 2393 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south by the Curlew mountains, and comprises 5412 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, with a considerable extent of mountain and bog. There are quarries of excellent limestone resembling marble, and much used for building. Hollybrook, the residence of J. Folliott, Esq., is beautifully situated on the shore of Lough Arrow; the grounds are well planted, and contribute in a pleasing manner to embellish the scenery of the lake. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Boyle: the tithes amount to £110. 15. 4-., of which £62. 6. 1-. is payable to the impropriators, and £48. 9. 8. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Riverstown: the chapel at Greyfort is a good slated building. At Currydora there is a school under the patronage of Wm. Phibbs, Esq.; and there is a private pay school in the parish. On the lands of Aughada are the remains of an abbey.

BALLINAFAD

BALLINAFAD, a village, in the parish of AUGHANAGH, barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2? miles (N. N. w.) from Boyle, on the road to Sligo; containing 20 houses and 140 inhabitants. A fair is held on the 29th of August; and here is a station of the constabulary police. - See AUGHANAGH.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021