All Lewis entries for Tibohine



Tibohine

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

FRENCH-PARK

FRENCH-PARK, a market and post-town, in the parish of TAUGHBOYNE, barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Boyle, and 91 (N. W.) from Dublin, at the junction of the roads from Elphin, Boyle, Castlerea, and Ballaghadereen ; containing 76 houses and 447 inhabitants. Much advantage is likely to result to this place from the mail coach road now constructed so as to pass through it. Silicious sandstone for building is found within a quarter of a mile, and limestone abounds. The agricultural improvements have led to preparations for the erection of a market-house, a market being held on Thursdays, which is much frequented by the Sligo merchants, who purchase butter in firkins for exportation ; considerable quantities of yarn are also sold, and it is an extensive pig market. Six fairs are held during the year, on Jan. 1st, March 17th, May 21st, July 12th, Sept. 21st, and Nov. 10th. It is a constabulary police station, and has a dispensary. The noble seat and demesne of French Park, which gives name to the town, is contiguous ; the mansion is a massive structure of brick, with two projecting wings, and is the property of Arthur French, Esq.; the demesne comprises about 1458 statute acres, finely wooded. Here is a R. C. chapel, towards the erection of which the French family contributed largely. Near it is the rent-office of Arthur French, Esq., where petty sessions are held, In the deer park of the demesne is a remarkable cave, consisting of five rooms, supposed to be druidical. On the verge of a bog, within half a mile of the town, are the ruins of Clonshanvill Abbey, which, from the open and level character of the surrounding country, form an imposing object: it is said to have been founded by St. Patrick, and re-erected by MacDermot Roe, in 1385 ; it was dedicated to the Holy Cross, and belonged to the Dominican friars, The remains consist of the walls of the church, the tower of which rests on pointed arches of a square building, which appears to have formed the habitable part of the monastery, and of some detached chapels within the cemetery. The chancel is now railed off for tombs, the cemetery being still much used. One of the most remarkable relics is a cross of sandstone flag, rising 11 feet from the ground, said by tradition to mark the spot beyond which a corpse might not be carried by the relatives and friends, but there be delivered up to the monks.

LOUGH GLINN

LOUGH GLINN, an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7 miles (S. W.) from Frenchpark, on the road to Ballyhaunis ; containing 10,124 inhabitants, of which number, 254 are in the village : the number of acres is returned with the parish of Taughboyne. The land is in general of inferior quality, and a large portion consists of bog. The village, which contains 50 houses is a station of the constabulary police ; it has a penny-post to Frenchpark and Clare, and a dispensary. Fairs are held in May, July, September, and October. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Elphin, and in the patronage of the Rector of Taughboyne, who allows a stipend of £69. 4. 6. to the curate, augmented by £15 per ann. from Primate Boulter's fund. The glebe-house, built in 1828 by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the late Board of First Fruits, stands on a glebe of 20 acres, valued at £12 per ann. The church, a neat structure in good repair, built in 1815 by aid of a gift of £600 from the same Board, is situated in the village. In the R. C. divisions this district forms part of the union of Taughboyne or Tibohine, and has a chapel in the village. The schools are noticed under the head of Taughboyne, which see.

TAUGUBOYNE

TAUGUBOYNE, or ARTAGH, also called TIBOHINE, a parish, :in the barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the river Gara (also called Lung), and on the road from Boyle to Ballaghadireen and the great new western road to Ballina ; containing, with the market and post-town of French-Park, and the village of Lough Glynn (both of which are separately described), 6336 inhabitants. According to Archdall, a religious establishment existed here, of which St. Baithen was Bishop in 640 ; the same writer also says that here was a celebrated school. The parish comprises 20,606 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; it consists for the most part of isolated hills and ridges bounded by bogs, forming altogether a wild tract, one-half bog and the other inferior land, under an unimproved system of agriculture. The river Lung rises in the parish, as does a branch of the river Suck. To the north-east of Lough-Glyan rises the high sandstone hill of Fairy Mount ; and two miles west of the village are some turloughs presenting a considerable extent of water in Winter, but dry in summer, of which Feigh is the principal, containing 200 acres and celebrated for the numbers of wild fowls that resort thither. The river Lung runs underground for about a mile in this vicinity. The manufacture of felt hats is carried on here. A manor court is held monthly in the parish, and petty sessions and fairs are held at French-Park ; there are also fairs at Lough-Glynn. Lough-Glynn, with its lake: and fine hanging woods, is the seat of Viscount Dillon ; it is a large massive building, with angular bay windows, and has a noble appearance, from its situation on the northern bank of the lake, which is about an Irish mile long, having smooth green banks sloping to the water's edge, or overspread with trees, and a wooded island ; on the opposite side of the lake are two ash trees of remarkable growth. About five miles west is Lough Erritt, the highly improved seat of Fitzstephen French, Esq., beautifully situated in an extensively planted demesne at the head of a lake of the same name, which covers upwards of 360 statute acres, and contains very fine fish. Cahan is the seat of C. French, Esq. ; and near French-Park are Cloonshanville, the seat of J. Davis, Esq. ; and Mullen, occupied by Lynch Plunkett, Esq.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, being the corps of the prebend of Artagh or Taughboyne, in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to £347. 1. 6-. The glebe-house was erected in 1819, by a gift of £400 and a loan of £340 from the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe comprises 21- acres, subject to a rent of £29.15. 4. and of the same value, The church is an ancient building, remarkable for its vaulted roof ; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £240 for its repair. There is a chapel of ease at Lough-Glynn. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains three chapels, at French-Park, Taughboyne, and Lough-Glynn. The school-house of the parochial free school, and 4 acres of land, were given by A. French, Esq. ; and two day schools are supported by Lord Dil-lon ; in these schools about 400 children are taught. There are also eleven private schools, in which about 500 boys and 200 girls are educated. There are dispensaries at French-Park and Lough-Glynn. Among the woods on the southern side of Lough-Glynn are remains of the old castle of that name, said to have been founded by one of the Fitzgeralds of Mayo, once a building of considerable extent and strength, defended at each angle by a tower, of which, in later times, one was used as a temporary prison. Near Lord Dillon's deerpark is a strong circular fortification on the summit of a round hill.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021