BALLINLOUGH, a village, in the parish of KILTULLAGH, barony of BALLINTOBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Castlerea; containing 130 inhabitants. It is situated about half a mile from Lough Aelwyn, and consists of about 45 small houses and cabins built in detached groups and upon uneven ground. It has rather a picturesque appearance, and derives a considerable degree of interest from the parish church, a new and handsome edifice, situated upon an eminence immediately behind it. A fair is held on Sept. 29th. Ballinlough House is the residence of the Rev. J. Le Poer Trench; and between the village and the lake is Willsborough house, a small ancient mansion, formerly the seat of the Wills family. A constabulary police force has been established here. There are two schools.
KILTULLAGH, a parish, in the barony of BALLINTOBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5- miles (W. by S.) from Castlerea, on the road to Tuam ; containing 7106 inhabitants. A monastery for Franciscan friars of the order de Poenitentia was erected here soon after the year 1441. About a quarter of the parish is bog ; the remainder is arable and pasture land, with about 30 acres of plantation, principally at Coshla, the sporting-lodge of W. R. Wills, Esq. Here is much limestone and sandstone, and the valleys abound with iron ore, which was formerly smelted, as is evident from the existence of an old furnace. Here is an excellent chalybeate spring. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, united by act of parliament, in 1711, to the rectories and vicarages of Aghavower, Annagh, Becan, Knock, and Templetogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £227. 6. 11-., and of the benefice to £775. 7. 8-. There is no glebe-house ; the glebe comprises 3a. 26p. The church is a neat building, erected about 1826 by a loan of £700 from the late Board of First Fruits. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has chapels at Garranlahan and Cloonfad. There are two public schools, to one of which the rector subscribes £5, and W. R. Wills, Esq., £4 annually, and the latter gentleman is erecting a school-house near the church ; to the other Mrs. Wills subscribes £2 per annum. About 120 children are educated in these schools, and about 830 in eight private schools.