CURNASEER, a village, in the parish of KILTOOM, barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (N. W.) from Athlone, on the road to Roscommon ; the population is returned with the parish. It has a station of the constabulary police. A large R. C. chapel is in course of erection near it, also a school-house, which is to be in connection with the National Board.
KILTOOM, or KILTOMB, a parish, in the barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (N. W.) from Athlone, on the road to Roscommon ; containing 4514 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on Lough Ree, comprises 7510 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; the soil is light but fertile, and the lands are generally in a profitable state of cultivation ; the system of agriculture is improved, and there is a moderate portion of bog. The scenery is pleasingly diversified. The principal seats are Hodson's Bay, that of L. Hodson, Esq., pleasantly situated on the shore of Lough Ree, in tastefully disposed grounds commanding a fine view of the lake and the river Shannon ; Grove, of J. Sproule, Esq. ; New Park, of Mrs. Smythe, a handsome residence pleasantly situated ; and Rockhill, of E. Hodson, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, united by act of council, in 1784, to the vicarage of Camma, together forming the union of Kiltoom, in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in the Incorporated Society. The tithes amount to £155, of which £65 is payable to the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar ; the gross tithes of the benefice are £200. The glebe-house is situated about a mile from the church ; the glebe comprises 20 3/8 acres. The church, which is in good repair, was built in 1785 by a gift of £390 from the late Board of First Fruits ; the tower is castellated and the occasional residence of Sir Frederic French. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church ; a spacious chapel is now being built. There is a private school, in which are about 45 children.