All Lewis entries for Kilteevan



Kilteevan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

KILTEEVAN

KILTEEVAN, a parish, in the barony of BALLINTOBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 miles (S. E.) from Roscommon, on the road to Lanesborough ; containing 2568 inhabitants. It is bounded by Lough Ree and the river Shannon on the east, and contains a great quantity of bog. The principal seats are Kiltiven House, the residence of J. E. Mapother, Esq. ; and Beechwood, of D. O'Farrell, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Roscommon ; the rectory is impropriate in the representative of the late Viscount Kingsland. The tithes amount to £115. 4. 8., of which £65. 4. 8. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Roscommon, and has a chapel. About 100 children are educated in two private schools, to one of which Mrs. Mapother contributes £5 annually.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021