All Lewis entries for Killukin (Boyle)



Killukin (Boyle)

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

CROGHAN

CROGHAN, a village, in the parish of KILLUKEN, barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Elphin, on the road to Boyle. It is an improving village, containing about 20 houses and cabins, the property of Guy Lloyd, Esq. Drugget, frieze, and flannel are manufactured here ; petty sessions are held every Tuesday, and fairs on the Wednesday after Trinity-Sunday and the 28th of October, for fat cattle, for which the October fair is considered to be one of the largest in this district. Here is a constabulary police station, and a dispensary ; and a loan fund was established by Mr. Lloyd, in 1833, with a capital of £500. In the village is the R. C. parochial chapel, a spacious and well-built structure ; and in the immediate vicinity is Croghan House, the handsome residence of Guy Lloyd, Esq., who has effected considerable improvements in the neighbourhood.

KILLUKEN

KILLUKEN, or KILLUCAN, a parish, in the barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Carrick-on-Shannon to Ballina ; containing, with part of the market and post-town of Carrick (with which it is connected by a bridge over the Shannon), 2948 inhabitants. It comprises about 5670 statute acres, of which 3571 are applotted under the tithe act, and is principally under tillage, although there are several grazing farms. The waste land consists chiefly of bog, most of which might be reclaimed, but at a considerable expense. Limestone of excellent quality abounds, and is quarried in several places for building and burning. The river Shannon skirts a small portion of the parish, and its navigation being connected with the Royal Canal at Tarmonbarry, goods can be shipped at Carrick bridge for Dublin. The principal seats are Croghan House, the residence of Guy Lloyd, Esq., the chief proprietor of the parish ; Cashell, of Erasmus Lloyd, Esq. ; Fairview, of W. Morton, Esq. ; and Hermitage, of Owen T. Lloyd, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Elphin, forming the corps of the archdeaconry of Elphin, and united to the vicarages of Kilbrine and Kilcorkey, and the rectory of Ardcarne, together forming the union of Killuken, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £101. 7. 8., and of the union to 395. 7. 3. The church is a very old building. There is an excellent glebe-house, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £400 and lent £240, in 1816: the glebe comprises 13 acres. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Eastersnow and Killumod, and parts of Tumna and Kilcola, which district is also called Croghan and Ballinameen, and contains chapels at Croghan, Drumacool, and Drumlion, in this parish. About 120 children are educated in three public schools, to one of which the curate contributes £4. 10. per annum, and about 200 in four private schools ; there is also a Sunday school.-See CROGHAN.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021