All Lewis entries for Killinvoy



Killinvoy

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

KILLENVOY

KILLENVOY, a parish, in the barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 10 miles (N. N. W.) from Athlone, on the road from that place to Roscommon ; containing 2250 inhabitants. It comprises 5139 statute acres, and contains a small quantity of bog ; there is an abundance of excellent limestone. The principal seats are Scregg, the residence of J. E. Kelly, Esq. ; Kellybrook, of D. Kelly, Esq. ; Churchboro, of E. Kelly, Esq. ; and Mount Plunket, of G. Plunket, Esq., a handsome building, situated on Lough Ree. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, episcopally united to the vicarages of Kilmean, Porterin, Ivernoon or St. John's, and Raharrow, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the rectory is impropriate in the Incorporated Society : the tithes amount to £130, which is equally divided between the impropriators and the vicar ; and the tithes of the benefice amount to £227. 2. 9. The church, which is a neat edifice, was built by aid of a loan of £1000 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1822 ; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £133 for its repair. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 11 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of' St. John's, and contains a chapel at Culleen. About 50 children are educated in a public school, which is aided by an annual donation from the vicar ; and 140 in two private schools ; there is also a Sunday-school. Numerous skeletons have been dug up in the parish.

KNOCKCROGHERY

KNOCKCROGHERY, a village, in the parish of KILLENVOY, barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S. E.) from Roscommon ; containing 180 inhabitants. It consists of 45 houses, built on a hill, and has fairs on Aug. 22nd and Oct. 25th, the latter of which is a large sheep fair. It is a constabulary police station, and the manufacture of tobacco-pipes is carried on to a considerable extent.

LECKARROW

LECKARROW, a village, partly in the parish of ST. JOHN'S, and partly in that of KILLENVOY, barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (N. W.) from Athlone, on the road to Roscommon, to both which places it has a penny post ; containing 80 inhabitants. Fairs are held in March, June, Sept., and Dec. ; and petty sessions every alternate week. In the village are a flour and an oatmeal mill ; and in the vicinity is a dispensary.

PORTERIN

PORTERIN, or PORTRUN, a parish, in the barony of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3- miles (S. E.) from Roscommon, on the river Shannon: the population is returned with Killenvoy. It comprises 11133- statute acres, of which 1092, consisting of good arable and pastureland, are applotted under the tithe act ; and it contains a quarry of excellent limestone, which is extensively worked and burnt for lime. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Killenvoy ; the rectory is impropriate in the Incorporated Society, to which and to the vicar the tithes, amounting to £36, are payable in equal portions. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Killenvoy. There are some remains of the old church in the burial-ground, which latter is very extenslve.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021