All entries for Kilkeevin



Kilkeevin

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

CASTLEREA

CASTLEREA, a market and post-town, in the parish of KILKEEVAN, barony of BALLINTOBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 13? miles (N. W.) from Roscommon and 88? (w. by N.) from Dublin ; containing 1172 inhabitants. This place appears to have arisen under the protection of the proprietor's castle, the site of which is now occupied by the seat of Lord Mount-Sandford, into whose demesne a gate opens directly from the market-place. The town consists of one long street extending from the market-place, and continued by bridges over the river Suck and a small river that runs through the demesne of Lord Mount-Sandford and unites with the Suck immediately below the town. The total number of houses is 162, of which the greater number are built of sandstone ; clusters of cabins extend along the roads, and there are several pretty cottages and small houses surrounded with trees, which, being neatly white-washed, give the neighbourhood a very cheerful appearance. There are several springs of excellent water, and the place is considered remarkably healthy. A very extensive distillery, producing annually more than 20,000 gallons of whiskey, is conducted with success ; and there are also a brewery and a tannery. The market for corn is on Wednesday, and has lately been rapidly increasing ; and there is a market on Saturday for provisions, which is amply supplied ; large quantities of butter, both fresh and in firkins, are sold here for the supply of distant markets, and cattle of every description and great quantities of yarn are brought for sale ; the markets are held by patent of Lord Mount-Sandford, who has erected convenient shambles, which will be of great benefit to the town. Fairs are held on May 23rd, June 21st, Aug. 23rd, and Nov. 7th, and are well attended. A chief constabulary force has been stationed here, the subinspector for the county being resident in the town. The quarter sessions for the western division of the county are held here every nine months ; and petty sessions are held every Wednesday. The sessions-house is a commodious building in the market-place, and attached to it is a bridewell containing the requisite accommodation. Castlerea House is the seat of Lord Mount-Sandford, and near it is a handsome house fitted up by his lordship for the residence of his chaplain.

The parish church is a neat edifice with a square embattled tower ; the R. C. chapel is a spacious structure, but being in indifferent repair, it is in contemplation to rebuild it ; there is also a place of worship for Wesleyan Mcthodists. A school-house for a school on Erasmus Smith's foundation was erected here by the late Rev. William Sandford, who endowed it with the interest of #200 ; and a handsome school-house, with apartments for a master and mistress, was erected by Lord Mount-Sandford, for a male, female, and infants' school, supported by his lordship ; there is also a national school. A dispensary has been established ; and a building, with wards attached for the reception of patients, is about to be erected on an improved principle by Lord Mount-Sandford. A loan fund has existed for some years with great benefit to the poor ; the capital at present is #600. Dr. Young, Bishop of Clonfert, an eminent natural philosopher and mathematician, was a native of this place.-See KILKEEVAN.

KILKEEVAN

KILKEEVAN, a parish, in the barony of BALLINTOBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with the post-town of Castlerea, 10,867 inhabitants. Some of the land is of good quality, and there are large grazing farms: there is a great quantity of bog, much of which is easily reclaimable, with very good limestone. The principal seats are Clonallis, the residence of the O'Conor Don; Arm Lodge, of W. Lloyd, Esq.; Dalefield, of J. Gray, Esq.; Southpark, of M. Balfe, Esq.; and Harristown, of Owen Young, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union and corps of the prebend of Ballintobber in the cathedral of Elphin; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Essex. The tithes amount to #450, of which #200 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. The church, which is at Castlerea, is a neat edifice, built in 1818, for which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of #2500, and has been recently repaired by a grant of #200 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of #100 and a loan of #850 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1821: the glebe comprises l4a. 3r. 30p., subject to a rent of #2. 6. 1?. per acre. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a large chapel at Castlerea. About 1200 children are educated in 13 public schools, to nine of which Lord Mount-Sandford contributes from #10 to #40 each annually; and about 500 are educated in 10 private schools. There are some remains of an abbey at Moor, also of a church at Kilkeevan, with a cemetery attached, which is the burial-place of the O'Conor Don family.-See CASTLEREA.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2018