FARBANE, a post-town, partly in the parish of GALEN, and partly in that of WHERRY, barony of GARRYCASTLE, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (N. E.) from Banagher, and 57 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the river Brosna, and on the road from Clara to Banagher ; containing 501 inhabitants. This town, which is within a few miles of the junction of the Brosna with the Shannon, is pleasantly situated on the banks of the former river, over which is a bridge commanding a beautiful view of the verdant plains and rich plantations through which it winds its course. It contains 106 houses, has a customary market on Thursday, fairs on Aug. 2nd and Oct. 20th, and a constabulary police station. The parochial church of Wherry is situated here, and a large R. C. chapel has been recently erected. There is also a dispensary. In the vicinity are several gentlemen's seats, which are noticed in the articles on the parishes of Galen and Wherry.
WHERRY, a parish, in the barony of GARRYCASTLE, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER ; containing, with part of the post-town of Farbane, 3555 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Brosna, comprises 16,732 statute acres, of which 80 are woodland and more than 7000 are bog ; the remainder is divided in nearly equal portions between pasture and tillage. The arable land is of very good quality and favourable to the growth of corn ; but the pasture, except the lowlands near the river, is indifferent, and the meadow land poor. The system of agriculture is slowly improving ; there is abundance of limestone, which is quarried for agricultural purposes and for building. The principal seats are Ballylen, the residence of the Rev. H. King, situated in a fine demesne ; Killygally, of the Rev. H. Mahon ; and Moyclare, of R. Lawder, Esq. Fairs are held at Farbane on Aug. 2nd and Oct. 20th : the Grand Canal passes within a quarter of a mile of the parish. It is a rectory, vicarage, and perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath ; the rectory is impropriate in the Rev. J. Armstrong and the Rev. H. King ; the vicarage forms part of the union of Tessauran ; and the perpetual curacy, which is also called Farbane, is in the patronage of the incumbent. The tithes amount to £276. 18. 5-., of which one-half is payable to the impropriator and the other to the vicar, The glebe-house, annexed to the curacy, was built in 1818 at an expense of £500, of which £450 was a gift and £50 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe comprises 20 acres, valued at £21 per ann. ; and the income of the curacy is £99. 7. 8-, arising from the glebe, a stipend of £55. 7. 8-. payable hy the incumbent, and an augmentation of £14 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church of the perpetual curacy was built in 1804, at an expense of £461 British, of which £327 was raised by parochial assessment and the remainder by subscription ; a belfry turret was added to it in 1819 by the same means. In the R. C. divisions the parish is in the diocese of Ardagh, and is the head of a union, called Farbane, comprising also the parish of Tessauran ; in each parish is a chapel ; that of Farbane is a handsome edifice lately erected. There are five private schools, in which are about 200 children ; and a dispensary. There are remains of old castles at Cool and Kilcolgan.