KILLAUGHEY, or KILLAGHY, a parish, in the barony of BALLYBOY, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 2- miles (E.) from Ballyboy, on the road from Tullamore to Roscrea; containing 4019 inhabitants. It comprises 13,064 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, including nearly 1000 acres of bog and waste land: of the cultivated land, about one-third is arable and two-thirds pasture. Here are two large flour-mills, and limestone is procured chiefly for burning. The principal seats are Annaghmore, the residence of Capt. Barry Fox ; Pallis Park, the seat of the late R. Malone, Esq. ; and Mount Pleasant, of the late
M. O'Connor, Esq. ; the two latter are beautifully situated on the banks of Lake Pallis. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, united from time immemorial to the vicarages of Ballyboy, Rahan, Lynally, Eglish, and Drumeullen, forming the union of Fircal, and in the patronage of Sir C. Coote, Bart. The rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire. The tithes amount to £186. 9. 2-., of which £120 is payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the vicar ; and the gross value of the benefice, tithes and glebe inclusive, is £2182. 9. 7. per ann. The church was built in 1817, by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits. There is a glebe-house, and the glebe comprises 659a. 3r. 36p., valued at £637. 12. 7. per annum. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union of Frankford, and has a chapel at Mount Bolus. About 200 children are educated in five private schools.
MOUNT-BOLUS, a village, in the parish of KILLAUGHEY, barony of BALLYBOY, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S.) from Frankford, on the southern road to Tullamore ; containing 30 dwellings and 164 inhabitants. Here is a station of the constabulary police ; also the R. C. chapel for this part of the district of Frankford.