BALLYKEANE, or KILLEIGHY, a parish, partly in the barony of GEASHILL, but chiefly in that of UPPERPHILIPSTOWN, KING's county, and province of LEINSTER, 3- miles (N. N. W.) from Portarlington; containing 2415 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Portarlington to Tullamore, and comprises 8069 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare; the former is united to that of Killaderry, and the latter is a distinct benefice, in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £304. 12. 3-., of which £203. 1. 6-. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. The church is a handsome building, erected in 1827, by aid of a grant of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £120 from the same Board: the glebe comprises 7- acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united with part of that of Geashill, in which union are three chapels, one at Ballykeane, and the others at Killeigh and Ballynegar in Geashill. A school, in which 17 boys and 16 girls are taught, is aided by subscriptions; and there are three private schools, in which are 90 boys and 55 girls, and four Sunday schools.
CLONEYGOWN, a village, in the parish of BALLYKEANE, barony of UPPER PHILIPSTOWN, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 3? miles (N. W.) from Portarlington ; containing 158 inhabitants. This small village is situated on the road from Portarlington to Tullamore ; it consists of about 30 tenements, and has a constabulary police station. Here are the mansion and demesne of Cloneygown, the seat of William Newcombe, Esq.