KILLEEVAN, a parish, partly in the barony of MONAGHAN, but chiefly in that of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, on the river Fin, and on the road from Clones to Dublin ; containing, with the post-town of Newbliss, 7273 inhabitants, of which number 87 are in the village, This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 11,571- statute acres, of which 11,314- are in Dartry, including a detached portion of 127- acres, and 55- under water; and 257 in the barony of Monaghan : of the whole, 9329 are applotted under the tithe act. The land is principally under tillage, the soil fertile, and the system of agriculture improved : there are several detached portions of bog. The principal seats are Ballinure, the residence of W. Forster, Esq. ; Newbliss House, of A. Kerr, Esq. ; Gortgranagh, of Mrs. Graham ; Scarvey, of Major Campbell Graham ; and Glinch Lodge, of J. Thompson, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £518. 19. 2-. The church is a neat plain structure, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £142. The glebe house is a neat building, and the glebe comprises 64 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union, comprising also the parish of Aughabog, and containing two chapels ; the chapel of this parish, on the townland of Killafuddy, is a neat edifice, erected in 1817. About 680 children are taught in six public schools, of which the parochial school is chiefly supported by the incumbent ; and there are four private schools, in which are about 260 children.-See NEWBLISS.
NEWBLISS, a market and post-town, in the parish of KILLEEVAN, barony of DARTRY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Clones, and 66 (N. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Clones to Dublin ; containing 497 inhabitants. It is situated on the estate, and contiguous to the fine demesne and plantations, of Andrew Ker, Esq., M.D. ; and consists of one wide street, containing 95 houses, mostly of respectable appearance. It is a station of the constabulary police, and has a sub-post-office to Clones and Cootehill. The market, which is on Saturday, is principally for pigs and flax ; and fairs are held on the last Saturday in each month, chiefly for cattle and pigs : the market-house and shambles are neat buildings, and there is a good inn. Here are a neat meeting-house for Presbyterians, erected in 1816 ; a school under the London Hibernian Society ; and a dispensary.