All Lewis entries for Rathregan



Rathregan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

RATHREGAN

RATHREGAN, a parish, in the barony of RATOATH, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. by W.) from Dunshaughlin, on the road from Dublin to Trim ; containing 325 inhabitants, This parish comprises 2481 statute acres of tolerably good land, mostly pasture. Here is a constabulary police station. Parsonstown is the residence of the Hon. Major Stanhope. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Dunshaughlin ; the tithes amount to £120, and the glebe, consisting of 23 acres, is valued at £40 per annum, The glebe-house of the union is within the parish ; it was built in 1822 by aid of a loan of £562 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Batterstown, comprising the parishes of Rathregan, Ballymaglasson, Balfeaghan, Raddonstown, Kilcloon, and Moyglare ; and containing three chapels. There is a school in the vicinity of the chapel of Rathregan.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021