All Lewis entries for Rathkenny



Rathkenny

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

RATHKENNY

RATHKENNY, a parish, in the barony of LOWER NAVAN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. W.) from Slane, on the road from Moynalty to Drogheda, and close by the mail coach road from Dublin to Londonderry ; containing 1995 inhabitants. This parish comprises 5430 statute acres, as applotted nader the tithe act : the land is of good quality ; about two-thirds are arable and the rest pasture, except about 150 acres of bog. From the hill of Mullaha a view of seven counties is obtained. Here is a police station. The seats are Mullaha, the residence of Brabazon Morris, Esq. ; and Rathkenny House, of T. Hussey, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of T. Hussey, Esq. ; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Drogheda. The tithes amount to £384. 18. 6., of which £193. 2. 2-. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar, The church is a small modern structure. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Slane : a large chapel has just been built, the front of which is faced with hewn stone ; it is a neat Gothic edifice. Here is also a R. C. school, which it is in contemplation to place under the National Board. About 40 boys and 20 girls are taught in a private school. There are some remains of an ancient castle.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021