All Lewis entries for Newtownclonbun



Newtownclonbun

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

NEWTOWN-CLONBUN

NEWTOWN-CLONBUN, or NEWTOWN-TRIM, a parish, in the barony of UPPER NAVAN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, adjacent to Trim ; containing 373 inhabitants. The parish, which is also called St. Mary's Newtown, is situated on the river Boyne, and comprises 971- statute acres of land, chiefly arable, and entirely the property of Sir Chas, Dillon, of Lismullen, Bart. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Trim : the tithes, amounting to £46. 3. 1., were purchased from the Ashe family by the late Board of First Fruits, as an augmentation to the vicarage of Trim, In the R. C. divisions also it is included in the union or district of Trim. About 80 children are educated in a private school. Within the limits of the parish are some interesting remains of religious houses, described in the article on Trim.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021