MOYNALTY, a post-town and parish, in the barony of LOWER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3- miles (N.) from Kells, and 35 miles (N. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Bailieborough to Dublin, by way of Navan and Kells, and on a branch of the river Blackwater ; containing 5918 inhabitants, of which number, 220 are in the town. During the disturbances of 1798, a battle took place at Petersville, in this parish, between a party of the insurgents and the king's troops. The parish comprises 12,131 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; about one-third is good land, one-third middling, and the remainder indifferent ; the land is principally under tillage, and the system of agriculture is improving ; there is a small quantity of bog, and some extensive limestone quarries are worked both for manure and building. The present village, which is of recent erection, was, till within the last few years, composed of cabins ; it is now clean and well-built, and comprises 33 detached houses, noted for their neatness, with the church at one of its extremities, and the R. C. chapel at the other : the improvement has been effected by J. Farrell, Esq., the present proprietor, who has also, by extensive and judicious plantations, greatly benefited the surrounding country, and has erected some substantial farm-houses on his estate. Petty sessions are held once a fortnight. The principal seats are Moynalty Lodge, the residence of J. Farrell, Esq. ; Kingsfort, of R. Chaloner, Esq. ; Westland, of T. Barnes, Esq. ; Cherry Mount, of P. Smith, Esq. ; Walterstown, of R. Kellett, Esq. ; Petersville, of T. Tucker, Esq. ; Donover, of W. Garnett, Esq. ; Skirk, of J. Rathborne, Esq. ; Westland Cottage, of E. Kellett, Esq. ; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. W. Kellett. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Crown ; the tithes amount to £550. The glebe-house, a handsome building, was erected in 1792, at an expense of £847 ; the glebe comprises 13 acres, valued at £26 per annum. The church was built in 1819, by aid of a loan of £1000 from the late Board of First Fruits. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains two chapels ; that at Moynalty is a neat stone edifice, built in 1824, at an expense of £1000 ; the other is a plain building at Newcastle, built about 60 years since: both have paintings over the altars. There are four public schools, of which the parochial school is aided by the rector ; one at Newcastle is aided by the Rev. Mr. Farrelly, P. P. ; and the others are national schools ; in these about 370 children are educated. There are also four private schools, in which are about 230 children ; and a dispensary. A castle formerly stood here, which was the residence of the Farnham family, but no remains of it are now in existence.