All Lewis entries for Lislee


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork


COURTMACSHERRY, a maritime village, in the parish of LISLEE, barony of IBANE and BARRYROE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2- miles (S. E.) from Timoleague ; containing 680 inhabitants. This village is pleasantly situated on the harbour of the same name on the southern coast, and contains about 140 houses, which form one long street extending along the south side of the bay. Its eastern part consists of small mean cabins, but in the western are numerous large and handsome houses, recently erected for the accommodation of visiters during the bathing season. It possesses many local advantages for trade and commerce, and is well situated for carrying on an extensive fishery ; for which, and the general improvement of the place, great encouragement has been lately afforded by the Earl of Shannon. Several small vessels of different classes are engaged in the coal and corn trade, in the fishery, and in the conveyance of sand for manure. Of these, seven are colliers trading with Newport, eight are hookers, engaged in conveying corn, potatoes, &c., to Cork, and bringing back timber, iron, and other merchandize ; four are lighters, chiefly employed in conveying sand ; and about 20 vessels are exclusively engaged in the fisheries : the value of the fish taken in 1835 was estimated at £2460. A small but convenient pier, constructed chiefly at the expense of the Earl of Shannon, has proved a great protection to the fisheries and very beneficial to trade. Several new lines of road have been lately opened, and other improvements are in contemplation, which, together with its beautiful and sheltered situation, the salubrity of its atmosphere, and the abundant supply of fish and all other kinds of provision, have rendered this village one of the most fashionable bathing-places on the southern coast. Small vessels may lie in safety, in two fathoms of water, near the quay in this harbour ; and about a quarter of a mile to the east, in a very small creek formed by a perpendicular clay cliff, a vessel may lie in 1- or 2 fathoms ; but as the channel is narrow and the tide rapid, one anchor must lie on the shore : near the middle of the bay are two rocks, called the Barrels ; the southernmost is small, and dry at low water, and the other, which is larger, is about - a mile to the north of the former, and is seldom seen above water. At the southernmost Barrel rock the extremity of the old head of Kinsale bears S. E. by E., and the Horse rock, which is always above water. To avoid the Barrel rocks on the west side, vessels should keep within a mile and a half of the shore, on the west side of the bay. The best anchorage, in westerly winds, is on the same side of the bay, in 10 or 12 fathoms, or on the north side of the Horse rock, in 4 or 5 fathoms. At the village is a station of the coast-guard, being one of the eight comprised in the district of Kinsale. Here are also male, female, and infants' schools, built and supported by Mr. and the Misses Leslie ; and a clothing establishment, under the management of the vicar, is supported by subscription, and, together with a loan fund, has proved very beneficial to the poor. Adjoining the village is the beautiful demesne and summer residence of the Earl of Shannon ; in the immediate neighbourhood are the ruins of Abbey Mahon ; and at the distance of two miles are the extensive and picturesque ruins of the abbey and castle of Timoleague.


LISLEE, a parish, in the barony of IBANE and BARRYROE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 10 miles (S. W.) from Bandon, on the southern coast ; containing, with the village of Court-McSherry (which is separately described), 1786 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 6250 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, is situated on the western side of the harbour of Court-McSherry ; the land is in general good and chiefly under tillage, and, from the great facility of procuring sea manure at the " Broad Strand," is in some parts well cultivated. At Dunworley is a small bog overflowed by the sea ; there are some quarries of slate of an inferior quality, but in the vicinity of Court-McSherry slate of superior quality and colour is obtained. The seats are Court.McSherry, the residence of J. Leslie, Esq., beautifully situated on the harbour and sheltered by a well-planted eminence ; Sea Court, of H. Longfield, Esq. ; Butlerstown, of Jonas Travers, Esq. ; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. J. Stewart. The seneschal of the Earl of Shannon has the power of holding a court baron here for the recovery of debts not exceeding 40s. late currency, which has merged into that of Timoleague, where the courts are now held.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, episcopally united in 1705 to the rectory of Kilsillagh, together constituting the union of Lislee, in the patron-age of the Bishop : the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Shannon. The tithes amount to £749. 2. 6., of which £203. 13. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar ; the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £588. 3. 8. The glebe comprises 42 acres, of which 10 were purchased by the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe-house was built in 1813, by a gift of £100 and a loan of £750 from the same Board. The church is a neat edifice in the early English style, with a square tower, erected in 1830 at the expense of the parish, aided by a loan of £900 from the Board. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Abbeymahon ; the chapel, a large plain building, is at Butlerstown. Of the seven schools in the parish, in which during the summer about 300 children are eduated, the parochial schools at Barreragh are partly supported by the incumbent, and, together with a school at Court.McSherry, built and supported by the Leslie family, and a Sunday school, are under his superintendence ; there is a school held in the chapel yard at Butlerstown, under the patronage of the R. C. clergy : the remainder are private schools. There are several ancient circular mounds, or raths ; that from which the parish is said to derive its name Lislee is a little to the west of the church, but the most extensive is on a hill about half a mile to the south. On a small peninsula in the bay of Dunworhey, are the ruins of the castle of that name, having a very narrow entrance similar to that of the strong castle of the O'Driscols on Cape Clear ; and on the cliffs called the "Seven Heads" is an old signal tower. Near Dunworley is a spring of very pure water, dedicated to St. Anne, and in several parts of the parish are springs strongly impregnated with iron. A little north of the Broad Strand are lofty cliffs composed of several distinct strata ; the fourth from the surface is a soft ferruginous yellow rock, in which masses of iron ore are found, almost pure, and varying in size from 4oz. to nearly l cwt.

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021