All Lewis entries for Kilmainham



Kilmainham

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

KILMAINHAM-WOOD

KILMAINHAM-WOOD, a parish, in the barony of LOWER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. w.) from Nobber, on the road from Kells to Kingscourt ; containing 1454 inhabitants, of which number, 147 are in the village, in which are 25 houses. This parish is the property of Anthony Strong Hussey, Esq.: there are some quarries of stone procured for building, a tuck and a corn-mill, and a few looms employed by the inhabitants for their own use. The village contains a constabulary police station and a dispensary ; a good fair for store cattle is held in it on May 5th. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the gift of A. S. Hussey, Esq., in whom the rectory is impropriate: the parish is tithe free, and the income of the vicar consists of a money payment from the impropriator. with an augmentation from Primate Boulter's fund. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. The church is a plain building, erected in 1803, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £135. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united with part of Bailieborough, or Moybologue, in the diocese of Kilmore, called the union or district of Moybologue or Tivorcher, in each of which is a chapel. There is a private school of about 100 children.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021