All Lewis entries for Dulane



Dulane

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

CURNASASE

CURNASASE, a village, in the parish of DULEEN, barony of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER ; containing 21 thatched houses and 108 inhabitants.

CURRAGH

CURRAGH, a hamlet, in the parish of DULEEN, barony of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER ; containing 78 inhabitants.

DULEEN

DULEEN, or DULANE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2- miles (N.) from Kells, on the road to Moynalty ; containing 1503 inhabitants. It comprises 4150 Statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act : the land is generally of good quality ; and the system of agriculture is improved. There is a sufficient quantity of bog for fuel, and there are quarries of limestone and freestone. The gentlemen's seats are Maprath, that of T. Taylor Rowley, Esq. ; Williamston, of the Rev. G. Garnett ; Willmount, of J. Radcliff, Esq. ; and Oakley Park, of Capt. Graham. It is a chapelry, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Kells and corps of the archdeaconry of Meath : the tithes amount to £200 ; the glebe comprises 2a. 3r. 17p. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district called Carnaross, comprising also the parish of Loghan, in each of which is a chapel ; the chapel of Duleen is a neat edifice. There is a private school, in which are about 50 children. There are some ancient crosses in Kiern churchyard, said to have been placed there by a saint of that name, which are held in great veneration by the peasantry.

MAHONSTOWN

MAHONSTOWN, a village, in the parish of DULEEN, barony of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N. W.) from Kells ; containing 32 houses and 182 inhabitants.

MAPERATH

MAPERATH, a village, in the parish of DULEEN, barony of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N. W.) from Kells ; containing 157 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Kells to Moynalty, and comprises 31 houses.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021