All entries for Donore



Donore

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

DONORE

DONORE, a parish, in the barony of LOWER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (W. S. W.) from Drogheda, on the road to Navan ; containing 1191 inhabitants, of which number, 124 are in the village, This parish anciently formed part of the possessions of the abbey of Mellifont. On July 1st, 1690, it was the position occupied by Jas II. during the battle of the Boyne, a detailed account of which is given in the article on Drogheda. The parish comprises 1954 acres : the ground under cultivation is naturally very productive, and there is neither wasteland nor bog. Abundance of limestone is procured from an old and well-worked quarry at Sheephouse, and is much used for building ; it is of a handsome light colour. By the canal, passing by Oldbridge, from Drogheda to Navan, timber, slates, stone, and coal are brought to Donore, and corn taken back to Drogheda. Old Bridge, the seat of H. B. Coddington, Esq., is situated in an extensive demesne, well planted, on the banks of the Boyne ; a residence called Farm is also the property of this gentleman ; and Stalleen is the property and occasional residence of William Sharman Crawford, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Meath ; the rectory is partly impropriate in the Marquess of Drogheda, but the greater part of the parish is tithe-free : the parishioners attend divine service at the churches of Duleek and Drogheda. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, also called Rosnaree, comprising the parishes of Donore and Knockcomon, in each of which is a chapel. There is a school in which about 50 boys and 30 girls are taught. The ruins of the church consist of a gable and part of a side wall. In the lands of Old Bridge are several trenches and redoubts used at the battle of the Boyne ; and at the foot of King William's glen is an obelisk in commemoration of the battle. Duke Schomberg is believed to have been buried within the gate of the grounds of H. B. Coddington, Esq.

OLDBRIDGE

OLDBRIDGE, a village, in the parish of DONORE, barony of LOWER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (W.) from Drogheda, on the river Boyne ; containing 22 houses and 107 inhabitants. In the account of the possessions of the abbey of Mellifont, taken at the time of the suppression of the monasteries, are enumerated sixteen fishing corraghs at this place, producing an annual rental of #13. 13. 4. It is celebrated as being the principal scene of the battle of the Boyne, in 1690, for the details of which see the article on Drogheda.

STALEEN

STALEEN, a hamlet, in the parish of DONORE, barony of LOWER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (W. S. W.) from Drogheda, on the road to Navan ; containing 20 houses and 88 inhabitants. It is the property of Wm. Sharman Crawford, Esq., who has a house here in which he occasion-ally resides.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020