All Lewis entries for Cruicetown



Cruicetown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

CRUISETOWN

CRUISETOWN, a parish, in the barony of LOWER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 1- mile (S. w.) from Nobber, on the road to Kells ; containing 427 inhabitants. It comprises about 2430 statute acres, two-thirds of which are under tillage ; there are some quarries of black stone. Cruisetown, formerly the property of the ancient family of Cruise, now belongs to Mr. Shaw, who contemplates building a new house here : in the demesne are two lakes. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the Bishop: the tithes amount to £100. Here is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Nobber : the chapel is a plain building. About 30 boys and 12 girls are educated at a hedge school at Altamont. There are some small remains of the ancient church, with a burial-ground attached, in which are some very ancient monuments of the Cruise family.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021