All entries for Brownstown



Brownstown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

BROWNSTOWN

BROWNSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Navan; containing 487 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Navan, through Ashbourne, to Dublin, and comprises 864 statute acres of amble and pasture land, with the exception of about 32 acres of waste and bog: the land is fertile and principally under tillage, and the system of agriculture is improving. There is a good limestone quarry; a valuable stratum of potters' clay has been discovered; and there are strong indications of the existence of copper ore, but no attempt to work it has hitherto been made. The only seat is Brownstown House, the property and formerly the residence of the Somerville family, and now being put into a state of repair. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, entirely impropriate in Sir W. Meredyth Somerville, Ban. : the tithes amount to #73. There is no church or chapel, only an ancient burial-ground: the clerical duties of the parish are performed by the incumbent of the adjoining parishes forming the union of Kentstown. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Blacklion. There are two hedge schools, in which are about 34 boys and 24 girls.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019