All Lewis entries for Ballymagarvey



Ballymagarvey

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Meath

BALLYMAGARVEY

BALLYMAGARVEY, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S.) from Slane; containing 401 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the Nannywater; the soil is fertile, the land in a high state of cultivation, and there are several flourishing plantations, which add to the pleasing character of the surrounding scenery. Ballymagarvey, the seat of Mrs. Osborne; Balrath, of Mrs. G. Tandy; Snugborough, of Lawrence Cruise Smyth, Esq.; and Mullafin, the property of H. Smith, Esq., are in the parish. There is a flour and corn-mill. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath. and is part of the union of Kentstown ; the rectory is impropriate in the heirs of Sir Andrew Aylmer. The tithes amount to £140, of which £90 is payable to the impropriators, and £50 to the vicar. The glebe comprises 44 acres of profitable land, valued at £2. 10. per acre. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district called Blacklion, comprising the parishes of Ballymagarvey, Painstown, Ardmulchan,Brownstown, Kentstown, and Tymole, and containing two chapels, at Blacklion and Yellow Furze; the former is a plain thatched building. There is a pay school, in which are about 20 children.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021