ARDMULCHAN, a parish, in the barony of SKREEN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2- miles (N. E.) from Navan; containing 1061 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the high road from Navan to Drogheda, and the new road from Trim to Duleek runs through the southern part of it: its northern part is intersected by the Boyne navigation. It comprises 3347
statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: about two-thirds are under tillage, and the remainder is good grazing land; there is no waste or bog. Limestone abounds, and there is a good quarry of stone for building. Ardmulchan House is the seat of R. Taaffe, Esq. and Hayes, a handsome residence, of R. Bourke, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Meath, and the rectory is united to Painstown: the tithes amount to £253. 16. 10-. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Black Lion or Painstown. There is a free school for boys and girls at Hayes, under the patronage of R. Bourke, Esq., who built the school-house, gave an acre of land rent-free, and allows £24 per ann. for its support; the girls' school is principally supported by Mrs. Bourke.